Skip to main content

Fred Schaus


Fred Schaus

  • Fred Schaus

Birthdate: June 30, 1925
Birthplace: Newark, Ohio
High School: Newark High School (1943)
College: West Virginia University
Died: February 10, 2010
Year Inducted: 2007

Fred Schaus has made major contributions to basketball as a player in high school, in college and professionally. He has coached at all levels and been an administrator on the college and professional scene. Fred led Newark High School to the state championship in 1943. As a college player he earned All-America status at West Virginia University and was the first player from that school to score 1,000 points (1,009). He left WVU after the 1949 season to join the Ft. Wayne Pistons, where he spent five years. He also played with the New York Knicks and played in the first NBA All-Star game in 195.

After his NBA career, he returned to his alma mater and was head coach at West Virginia University for six years where his made it to the NCAA tournament each year. He led West Virginia University to the NCAA Finals at Louisville in 1959, but the team 70-71 to California. 

After the 1960 season, he left college coaching for the Los Angeles Lakers and reunited with his former WVU star, Jerry West. Schaus guided the Lakers to seven consecutive playoff appearances, including four Western Conference Championships in 5 years (1962, 1963,1965 and 1966) then in 1967 he left coaching for the front office as the Lakers General Manager. With his leadership the Lakers eventually won the 1972 NBA title.

After leaving NBA coaching and management in 1972, he returned to the college ranks to coach at Purdue University, taking over for George King. He held a 104–60 overall record as the Boilermaker's head coach, while leading them to the 1974 NIT Championship and a berth in the 1977 NCAA tournament. He then owned the distinction of being the only coach to reach the NIT finals, NCAA finals, and the NBA Finals. In 1981 he returned to West Virginia University as Athletic Director. He remained in Morgantown, West Virginia after his retirement.

He died on February 10, 2010.